User experience design (UXD, UED or XD) is the process of enhancing user satisfaction by improving the usability, accessibility, and pleasure provided in the interaction between the user and the product.
- Utilize a user-centered approach to tackle complex design challenges
- Design and conduct a broad set of user experience research and usability studies
- Communicate design ideas and direction using wireframes, site maps, interaction prototypes, personas, competitive audits, storyboards, and user journeys
- Design effective interactions, user interfaces, dashboards and visualizations that delight and inform
- Stay abreast of interaction design and technology trends
- Collaborate with user experience architects, writers and other designers on medium-sized, diverse, cross-functional User Experience projects to generate the overall user experience solution and deliver usability on product within feasibility
- Do rapid design exploration and deliver the User Experience designs (user interface design comps, visual design specs, prototypes, and other visual assets) to engineering on time and with high quality
- Engage with product management, engineering, business stakeholders and third-party vendors to understand requirements and achieve goals
- Demonstrate up-to-date expertise in user experience design and apply this to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans.
- Leverage existing UX patterns and style guides
- Support engineering and conduct visual QA during development
- Support User Experience strategy and innovation
- Model compliance with company policies and procedures and support company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills – you should be able to clearly articulate design considerations and decisions
- Excellent functional analysis skills. You should be able to break down complex workflows that include multiple layers of dependencies and re-frame them into elegant, simpler workflows.
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision
- A portfolio demonstrating a grounded background in interaction design
- Rich understanding of user experience, user research, interaction design, and design principles
- A willingness to get your hands dirty and help move a project forward
- Expert use of design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Experience Design, Axure, Visio, etc.
- Solid understanding of common software project management and development practices
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience leading efforts and delivery of complex software design projects in web design, user interface design, or related field
- Practitioner of user centered design best practices including iterative design and usability testing
- Mobile/responsive design experience is highly desired
- Collaborate with backend developers and graphic designers to deliver quality client-side applications.
- Write high-quality and reusable code
- Experience with HTML5 and SCSS
- Experience with JQuery and AngularJS
- Experience in troubleshooting cross-browser compatibility issues
- Ability to take a PSD and turn it into a pixel-perfect page
- Experience with template engines
- In-depth understanding of fundamental visual and interactive design concepts.
- Excellent communication skills
- At least two years of experience, working on at least one large product
- Experience with Git
- SASS (CSS preprocessor)
- Boxes and Arrows: articles about design principles, processes and methods, interfaces and more.
- Nielsen Norman Group: reports and articles regarding groundbreaking research in user experience.
- Usability Geek: covers topics ranging from UX and interfaces to conversion.
Books on UX/UI
- – by Jenifer Tidwell
- – by Steve Krug
- (80+) – by UXPin
- – by UXPin
- – by UXPin
- – by Steve Krug
- – by Joel Spolsky
- UX Mag: an online UX publication discussing the latest in design and UX strategy.publications
- UX Booth: one of the leading for UX topics, held in high regard by the UX community.
- 52 Weeks of UX: a UX blog authored by UX designers Joshua Porter and Joshua Brewer.
- UXPin Blog: useful articles on how to create effective user experiences.
- DesignModo UX: comprehensive site covering the aesthetic, business, and psychological elements of UX.
- Webcredible: UX articles and resources.
- Johnny Holland: a popular source of information for a variety of UX topics.
- Smashing Magazine: a leading website for UX information and articles.
- UX Colombo: a site that strives to promote UX creativity and inspiration with its insightful, indepth coverage of various UX topics.
- UX Myths: a site that dispels some common myths regarding UX design and the industry atlarge.
- Inspire UX: UX design articles and tips.
- UXADAY: daily inspiration and directory of useful resources and tools for User Experience Designers.
- Stack Exchange UX: question and answer site for user experience researchers and experts.
- UX Matters: a site featuring a bounty of useful UX information and tips.
- Foolproof: a popular blog covering UX strategy and design.
- Akendi: discusses issues surrounding UX and design.
- Innovation M: a design blog that highlights various UX methods.
Online Courses and Tutorials